Register for the International Audience Engagement Network (IAEN)
AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
Museums that consciously change and evolve are more relevant to their audiences, communities, stakeholders, practitioners and ideas-makers. Audience engagement, as a specialised function within museums, assists in redefining the role of the audience, and that of the museum itself. By facilitating experiences that respond to the increasingly interactive, collaborative, authentic and spontaneous character of our society, audience engagement is critical to the ongoing value and relevance of the museum experience in the 21st century.
ABOUT THE NETWORK
Recognising that a strategic network of practitioners in the field of audience engagement is essential to continued evolution, the International Audience Engagement Network (IAEN) was established in 2017 as an international resource for advancing the future of museum audience engagement. The IAEN is led by a steering group of audience engagement leaders from:
• National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), Melbourne
• Harvard University Extension School, Cambridge
• Minneapolis Institute of Art (Mia)
• Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York
• National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
• National Gallery Singapore
• Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York
IAEN priorities include:
• Communications and service standards
• Collaborative, cross-industry strategies for planning audience engagement
• Inclusion in museums
• Leadership, advocacy and public value
• Measurement and evaluation
2018 IAEN MEETING OVERVIEW
IAEN will meet in Melbourne in March 2018. The inaugural IAEN meeting will focus on two major areas of audience engagement in museums, identified through consultation with the IAEN Steering Group and a pre-meeting survey to participants. These will be delivered as facilitated workshops.
INCLUSION AND ENGAGEMENT
Increasingly, today’s cultural institutions are looked on by their audiences to reflect and represent their communities – from local to global – and act as a conduit for interpreting, understanding and communicating major ideas and issues of our time.
• Toolkit for museums to assist in mediating the expectations of audiences around the content presented at the museum or through its communications, including a style guide for communications, interpretive texts and verbal language that supports diversity, inclusion and access
• Defined evaluation and success measures for the social impact of museum visitor engagement
THE VISITOR EXPERIENCE
Cohesive focus on audience engagement requires a collaborative, multi-faceted approach to internal museum strategy and planning, leading to more authentic, rewarding and comprehensive audience experiences.
• Guidelines to support audience engagement professionals to advocate for a pro-audience approach to internal planning, including recommendations for embedding inter-departmental collaboration and planning
• Methodologies for auditing and supporting the visitor journey, including service standards, visitor feedback and defined measures of success for holistic audience engagement
Please complete your details below to register. For more information, please email: IAEN@ngv.vic.gov.au