The wedding party

The wedding party
(c. 1667-1668)

Artist/s name
Jan STEEN


Medium
oil on wood panel
Measurements
45.5 x 37.3 cm
Accession Number
E1-1992
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Presented through The Art Foundation of Victoria by Mr James Fairfax, Honorary Life Benefactor, 1992
Gallery Location
Not on display

Provenance

Collection of Joan Hendrik van Heemskerk (1689–1730), Gravenhage, before 1730; then to his widow, Anna Petronella van Heemskerk (1693–1765/66, née van Schuylenburg), until her death, 1765/66; Van Heemskerk estate, until 1770; included in the van Heemskerk sale (Lugt 1818), Rietmulder, The Hague, 29 March 1770, no. 110 as Een Boeren-Bruiloft, hoog 18 breed 14 duim; from where purchased by Cornelis van Heemskerck; included in Heemskerck sale, The Hague, 18 November 1783, no. 3; from where purchased by Louis-Bernard Coclers (1741–1817); collection of Van Cranenburgh, Amsterdam, before 1823; collection of Anthony Meynts (Mynts), by 1823; included in Meynts sale, Amsterdam, 15 July, 1823, no. 118; bought Chrétien-Jean Nieuwenhuys, (1799–1883) (dealer-collector); collection of Lord Charles Vere Townshend (1785–1853), London, by 1824; collection of William Wells (1768–1847) of Redleaf Park, near Penthurst, Kent, by 1833; included in Wells' estate sale, Christie & Manson, London, 12–13 May, 1848, no. 92, as A company of villagers in a room; from where purchased by W. B. Tiffin (dealer), Canonbury; with Tiffin, Canonbury, until 1877; Tiffin sale, Christie’s London, 28 May 1877 (Lugt 37521); collection of Chrétien-Jean Nieuwenhuys  dealer-collector) before 1883; Nieuwenhuys sale, Christie's, London, 17 July 1886, no. 98; from which purchased by Galerie Sedelmeyer (dealer), Paris; collection of Maurice Kann (d. 1906), Paris, before 1906; collection of the Kann estate until 1911; included in Kann sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 9 June 1911, no. 69 as La Noce; purchased by S. Altmann (dealer); collection of Eugène Fischhof, Paris; included in his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 14 June 1913, no. 64; collection of Marcus Kappel (1839–1919), Berlin, by 1914–19; Estate of Marcus Kappel, until 1931; collection of Georg Rathenau (architect), Berlin, by 1931; loaned to the Boijmans-van Beuningen Museum, Rotterdam; with Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1946; from where purchased by R.P. Silcock, Lancashire, 1947; by descent to A. Duckworth; purchased by Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1974; purchased by James Fairfax, Bowral, New South Wales, 1977; collection of James Fairfax, Bowral and Sydney, 1977–92; presented through the Art Foundation of Victoria to the National Gallery of Victoria, 1992.

Related works