Bearbrass and Batmania– luckily for Melburnians these names were scratched from the list when it was decided in 1837 to officially name the city after the British prime minister of the day, Lord Melbourne.
Lord Melbourne was a close confidant to Queen Victoria. As a gesture of her respect, she presented him with this monumental three-part centerpiece candelabrum made by Garrard & Co., a premier manufacturer of plate in the nineteenth century. The engraved inscription reads: 'Presented to Viscount Melbourne as a mark of regard and esteem by Victoria R. and Albert, February 10, 1840'.9
With its name decided, Melbourne’s next rite of passage was to extricate itself from New South Wales, which it achieved in 1851 when Queen Victoria declared the Port Phillip area to be the colony of Victoria. The same year, Melbourne was turned upside down by the discovery of gold in nearby Ballarat. The great wealth this brought transformed the city and by the 1880s, Melbourne’s extravagance had reached fever pitch.