COMING SOON NEAR YOU
Einat Amir invites you to perform her work, Coming soon near you. Select your favourite film or home movie, register for a session, and become a work of art on view at the NGV.
Presented in the form of a typical living room, with well-worn couch, mismatched furnishings and threadbare rug, the work is a domestic island within the gallery space. Amir invites visitors to sit in her constructed lounge room and watch a television show, film or home movie of their choice. In this way, the private ritual of watching television in the family living room – where loved ones gather to enjoy leisure time, snacks and favourite films – becomes a public spectacle or performance for others to observe. Bringing together local materials, people and histories, Coming soon near you captures an experience both local and universal.
Visitors can pre-book for Coming soon near you and bring their own choice of film or television show to watch as part of the installation.
Between sessions, visitors are invited to take a seat and view material selected by the artist.
How do I book?
If you are interested in viewing one of your favourite films or television shows as part of this installation, please use the automated system below to book a time and date for your session. See T&Cs for more information. Pre-booked sessions for Coming soon near you occur at 10.30am and 2pm daily. Content must be suitable for all audiences; rated G or PG.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR BOOKING EINAT AMIR, COMING SOON NEAR YOU
In placing your booking, you agree to and confirm that you have read and understood the following Terms and Conditions.
- By confirming your booking, you agree that the content is appropriate for a general audience (G or PG rating.)
- Your footage does not infringe on the intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person.
- You confirm that the footage has not been tampered with or altered in any way.
- You confirm that you legally own and possess a working copy of this material on DVD, VHS, or USB (MP4 format only) and that the material is in good quality and working condition.
- The NGV is not responsible for any damage to your film property while on site or in use within the installation.
- The NGV may take and retain a copy of anything you screen as part of this installation.
- The NGV may ask you to show us the footage before it is screened. If you refuse, the NGV may terminate your participation.
- You may only screen the content which you declared when booking your session.
- You may not screen any additional or alternate content to what was booked.
- You must collect your content with you upon completion, before leaving.
- The NGV may terminate a screening at any time, and without any liability, if we believe any of the content is inappropriate.
- You may be asked to leave the NGV, and escorted off the premises if the NGV deems the content of your screening to be inappropriate, or if your behaviour is inappropriate.
- Sessions are not private screenings and other members of the public may join you.
- Footage may not exceed a maximum of two hours.
- You must comply with all the conditions of entry to NGV.
- Please arrive at the NGV International Information desk ten minutes prior to your session’s scheduled time, with a copy of your booked film, on either DVD, VHS, or USB.
- Parents/guardians must supervise children at all times.
- You will be offered a selection of small snacks during your booked session, which may only be consumed while you are participating in the Coming soon near you installation.
- The NGV is not able to accommodate any dietary requirements, in relation to the catering items provided during your session.
- You are responsible for any allergies you, or children in your care, may have. Please do not accept any catering items if you have food allergies or are uncertain whether children in your care have food allergies.
- When your session is completed, you are responsible for placing all unused items into nearby bins.
- You may not travel through the exhibition space with any catering items.
- You may not bring and/or consume your own catering items (other than bottled water).
- NGV cannot guarantee your footage will be able to screen during your session.
The NGV retains the right to cancel your booking at any time. In the unlikely case of a cancellation, you will receive notification via email.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to offer exchanges for different dates or times. Should you be unable to attend your session, please cancel your booking via the link contained in your booking email.
The NGV does not take responsibility for any aspect of your broadcast including any licensed or copyrighted materials reproduced as part of the installation.
The views expressed in content running as part of this installation are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect those of the NGV.
BOOK A SESSION
About Einat Amir
Working from her Tel Aviv studio, which the artist calls her ‘lab of emotional research’, Amir examines human behaviour through partly planned, partly spontaneous interactions within video installations and live performances. Her work blurs the lines dividing the work of art and the viewer, public and private and scripted and unprompted situations. In this way, Amir’s art encourages us to re-examine our behaviour.
Einat Amir lives and works in Tel Aviv, Israel. Amir received her MFA in Visual Arts from Columbia University in 2009. Her work has been exhibited at institutions including MoMA PS1, New York; The Kitchen, New York; Palais de Tokyo, Paris; Museum of Modern Art, Istanbul; and Whitechapel Gallery, London, among other venues.
Supported by the Trawalla Foundation