First published in 2008 by
The Council of Trustees of the National Gallery of Victoria
180 St Kilda Road
Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
This publication is copyright and all rights are reserved. Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced or communicated to the public by any process without prior written permission. Enquiries should be directed to the publisher.
© Copyright in each article is retained by the contributor, 2008
The main articles in this issue have been refereed in full.
ISSN 0066 7935
The views expressed in this publication are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the NGV or the publisher.
Note to reader
Throughout its life the NGV’s scholarly journal has been published under various names as quarterly and annual editions: Quarterly Bulletin of the National Gallery of Victoria, 1945–58; Annual Bulletin of the National Gallery of Victoria, 1959–67; Art Bulletin of Victoria, 1967–2002; Art Bulletin of the National Gallery of Victoria, 2002–10.
In 2013, we have begun the process of republishing back issues of Art Journal as electronic editions with the aim of providing long-term access to quality scholarship about the NGV collection.
We would welcome your feedback and comments about this project: NGVPublishing@ngv.vic.gov.au
The electronic publication of the Art Journal of the National Gallery of Victoria is being made possible due to the generous ongoing support of The Vizard Foundation.
Commissioning editor: Judith Ryan
Editing: Dianne Waite
Design: Jessica Gommers
Permissions and Copyright: Jennie Moloney
Photography: NGV Photographic Services, unless otherwise stated
Publications Officer: Judy Shelverton