National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Felton Bequest, 1952
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
Sven Palmqvist began his work at Orrefors in 1936. Not only did he expand the range of designs for art glass, but also introduced new manufacturing techniques. Inspired during a trip to Italy by the Renaissance mosaics and windows he saw in Ravenna, Palmqvist set out on his return to Orrefors to recreate the effect in blown glass. Fundamentally similar in technique to ariel, the technique was introduced in 1948. Orrefors’s ravenna works capture the rich glowing tones, particularly in cobalt blue, that dominated seventeenth-century Ravenna stained glass.