National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Purchased with the assistance of a special grant from the Government of Victoria, 1979
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of The Vizard Foundation
The frame is cut from a single plank of timber dressed from an 8″ wide, 1″ thick board, with a bevelled sight edge and two recessed linear elements. The surface consists of a matte bronze coating over a gesso substrate.
Prior to 1990, The river (1896) had been framed in a Louis XIV revival frame (see image directly above). The painting was reframed in 1990 (see previous image) to match the frame on another painting by Streeton, Spring (A14-1978), thought to date to the 1920s but resurfaced.
In 2005 the framing of the painting was revisited. This time the frame was to be based on a photograph showing the framed painting on display in the Art Gallery of New South Wales in 1925. Here the frame is a wide, flat plank appearing to carry a dark surface finish. The form of the new frame was derived from the photograph. The matte bronze surface is based on the frame on a painting by W.B. McInnes, The hill, 1917.