National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Felton Bequest, 1941
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
14th - 16th Century Gallery - Painting & Decorative Arts Level 1, NGV International
This sculpture, and the figure of St John the Evangelist displayed to the right, both come from a church in the town of Karlstadt-am-Main in south-western Germany, where they were set up on the exterior wall beneath an image of the Crucified Christ. Made of limewood, a soft fine-grained timber that enables the carver to work in great detail, they still show minute traces of the bright polychrome paints that would originally have covered them entirely.