Ceremonial jar and cover
Southern Song dynasty 1127-1279
- stoneware (Longguan ware)
- (a-b) 25.3 × 12.5 × 12.3 cm (overall)
- Place/s of Execution
- Longquan, Zhejiang province, south-east China, China
- Accession Number
- Asian Art
- Credit Line
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Bequest of Howard Spensley, 1939
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of The Gordon Darling Foundation
- Gallery location
- Not on display
- Longquan ware. Ovid body with moulded petal forms, broad triple ribbed shoulder, cylindrical neck; shoulder and neck with high relief dragon, flaming pearl and phoenix/pheasant.
Lid: broad undulating rim, domed with seated phoenix/pheasant. Translucent olive green glaze. Damage to beak and tail of bird on lid.