A Journey Through the Exhibition
The following short articles and accompanying questions explore the key themes in the Exhibition. These are followed by a detailed timeline and glossary, weblinks and a suggested further reading list.
- Picasso and Dora Maar, a Mercurial Meeting of Minds
- Portraits and Mythologies
- Weeping Woman Series
- The War Years
- Picasso Timeline - the milestones of his life, and the major historical events
- Picasso Glossary - definitions of words used in articles
- Web Links
- Pablo Picasso Resources - Life of Picasso
- Lee Miller Archives - portraits of Picasso and Dora Maar
- On-line Picasso Project
- Spanish Civil War
- Spartacus online
- Wikipedia Article
- Second World War
- World War II Multimedia Database
- Museum of Tolerance
- Suggested Further Reading
- Dore Ashton, 'Picasso on Art, A Selection of Views', Thames and Hudson, London, 1972
- Anne Baldassari, 'Picasso: Love and War 1935-1945', Flammarion SA, Paris , 2006
- Jonathan Brown (ed), 'Picasso and the Spanish Tradition', Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 1996
- Mary Ann Caws, 'Dora Maar, with and without Picasso, a biography', Thames and Hudson, 2000
- Judi Freeman, 'Picasso and the Weeping Women - The Years of Marie-Thérèse Walter and Dora Maar', Los Angeles County Museum of Art, February 1994, Rizzoli, International Publishers. Inc.
- Françoise Gilot, Carlton Lake, 'Life with Picasso', Virago, London, 1990
- Steven A. Nash, Editor with Robert Rosenblum, 'Picasso and the War Years'
1937 - 1945, Thames and Hudson, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 1998
- Roland Penrose, 'Picasso: His Life and Work', Granada, London, 1981
Research and Discussion Activities
We hope you find these materials useful and engaging, and welcome your feedback to improve them.
Click here to fill out our online feedback form.