Melbourne Art Book Fair
29 Apr–1 May 2016
Melbourne Art Book Fair 2017
Leading international art book publishers and local practitioners converge at the NGV for the annual Melbourne Art Book Fair (MABF), featuring publisher stalls, a talks program, book launches and performances and after-hours events. In 2017 there will be an accompanying International Typography Symposium presented in conjunction with the RMIT Design Futures Lab. Drawing over 29,000 visitors to NGV International since its inaugural year in 2015, the Fair engages established and emerging publishers in a large-scale event. For MABF 2017, Sydney-based paper engineer Benja Harney will respond to the Great Hall venue with a colourful paper design commission.
Applications for publishers and artists to take part in the 2017 Melbourne Art Book Fair are now open and close 30 December 2016 at 5pm. Apply below.
Publishers, apply to exhibit:
Publishers, artists and designers whose practices focus on arts, architecture and design are encouraged to apply for the Melbourne Art Book Fair.
Submissions will be assessed for suitability.
2017 Melbourne Art Book Fair Terms and conditions
The Melbourne Art Book Fair is seeking applications from publishers, artists, designers, writers, curators and organisations to have their publications featured as part of the Melbourne Art Book Fair.
The Melbourne Art Book Fair welcome applications from publishers, artists, designers, writers, curators and organisations whose publishing practice centres around art, design, architecture and contemporary culture.
The Melbourne Art Book Fair offers a unique platform that will, bring together a diverse range of art publishers, artists and designers to Melbourne. The Fair, anticipated as an annual event for art publishers worldwide, will provide vital links with international fairs well established in New York, London, Tokyo and Paris. The Melbourne Art Book Fair celebrates Melbourne’s status as one of only eleven UNESCO Cities of Literature in the world.
The NGV, through the Melbourne Art Book Fair, will provide successful participants with:
· The venue, The Great Hall at NGV International, 180 St Kilda Road
· A uniquely design fair environment
· The opportunity to sell your publications directly to new audiences, with all proceeds remaining with the participants.
· A range of curated public programs at the Fair including talks, presentations, book signings and launches.
· Promotion of the event through inclusion in the NGV’s printed material including, but not limited to, Gallery magazine, What’s On, website, e-news, press release, social media and targeted marketing and advertising.
· Free access to wifi for point of sale activities
· Complimentary passes to the Melbourne Art Book Fair Preview for successful applicants
Application process and criteria
In order to apply to be part of the Melbourne Art Book Fair, applicants must:-
· Read the terms and conditions and conditions of entry
· Submit an online application by 5pm 30 December 2016
Note: Applications will not be accepted in any other format.
The Melbourne Art Book Fair is particularly interested in publishing projects that provide high quality publications focused on art, design, architecture and contemporary culture.
Conditions of entry
The Melbourne Art Book Fair selection panel can only assess applicants on the basis of their online application. It is essential to your interest to fill in this form with a high-level of detail to accurately represent your practice.
The selection of participants to be featured in The Melbourne Art Book Fair by the NGV is final, and no correspondence shall be entered into regarding the selection process.
The Melbourne Art Book Fair reserves the right to refuse applications, including
(but not limited to) where:
· There is a conflict of interest with the Melbourne Art Book Fair’s values, direction, objections or suppliers;
· There is no adequate evidence to show the activity will be delivered to the standards expected;
· The application does not comply with the terms and conditions of the Fair.
If you are accepted to be featured as part of the Melbourne Art Book Fair you will be required to provide the following:-
· Copy and image/s for the printed program and the NGV website
· A current ABN and postal address
· Participate in Fair set-up and demount at dates specified by the Fair
· Organise cash and EFTPOS point of sale for all sales through your stall at the Fair
· Promote the Fair through your social media platforms
Deadlines and fees
If your application is accepted you will be sent a Participation Agreement that includes a stall holder fee as set out below:-
Full stand $110 +GST
Half stand $70 +GST
Half stand $150
Full stand $300
Double stand $600
This stall holder fee will assist in covering costs of supporting your activity at the Fair. All fees must be received within 30 days of the Participation Agreement being issued. Some participants may be eligible for an exception to the payment. Please contact the Fair.
04 October 2016
30 December 2016
Deadline for applications (no later than 5pm).
13 January 2017
Successful applicants notified and issued a Participation Agreement.
23 January 2017
Successful applications will submit copy and image/s for printed and online promotion.
March 16 2017
Bump-in as directed by the Fair.
Note stalls to be fully set up and stall holders present no later than 5pm.
March 16,17,18,19 2017
Fair open to public, 10am-5pm. Note stall holders are expected to be at the Fair 9.30am for set-up. Stall holders to bump out all remaining stock and items following 5pm Fair close on Sunday 19 March 2017.
The information contained in these terms and conditions has been prepared solely to assist
you in evaluating the benefits of applying to participate in the 2017 Melbourne Art Book Fair.
The NGV gratefully acknowledges Event Partner ASAHI and Supporter City of Melbourne. The symposium is presented by the RMIT Design Futures Lab with the support of the Ian Potter Foundation and RMIT School of Media & Communication. The inclusion of Self Publish, Be Happy in the event is proudly supported by the NGV Friends of the Gallery Library.