Mr Clark's Station, Deep Creek, near Keilor

Mr Clark's Station, Deep Creek, near Keilor
1867

Artist/s name
Eugène von GUÉRARD


Medium
oil on canvas
Measurements
68.4 x 122.0 cm
Place/s of Execution
Melbourne, Victoria
Accession Number
A2-1986
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Purchased with funds donated by Mr and Mrs Solomon Lew and with the assistance of the National Gallery Society of Victoria, 1986
 
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of The Vizard Foundation
Gallery Location
Not on display

This work is one of a series of von Guérard homestead portraits. Glenara – as the homestead was called – was situated in the valley of Deep Creek, 27 kilometres north of Melbourne, and owned by Mr Clarke, a wealthy pastoralist from New South Wales. Mr Clarke and his family are depicted in the formal landscaped garden of the house.

The painting shows an extensive view of the 27-room homestead. The house is set in the centre of a cultivated landscape surrounded by panoramic views of pastoral land with grazing sheep and cattle. Mount Macedon can be seen in the distance. The formal landscaped garden with its imported trees, vineyards and Sunny South roses represents a pocket of imported European civilisation in the untamed Australian wilderness.

To begin the work, von Guérard completed sketches of the scene from the site of a bluestone tower over-looking the property. The tower, together with the house and garden, still exists today.

Related works