Collection Online

Hero and Leander
(c. 1625-1626)

oil on canvas
155.3 × 209.5 cm
Accession Number
International Painting
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Felton Bequest, 1955
Gallery location
17th to 18th Century European Paintings Gallery
Level 2, NGV International

Collection of P. B. Nicholls Esq. (1920–2010), Burleigh, Stroud, Gloucestershire, before 1953; with J. A. Tooth (dealer), London, by 1953[1]; from where purchased by Colnaghi (dealer), London, 19 December 1953; with Colnaghi, London, until 1955; from where purchased, on the advice of A.J.L. McDonnell, for the Felton Bequest, 1955.

[1] Jack Artemus Tooth, dealer, in partnership with brother Vivian Artemus Tooth during 1940s and early 1950s. See London Gazette issues 18 April 1944 and 22 July 1947.