Collection Online

Lock on the Thames
1885

Medium
oil on canvas
Measurements
139.5 × 122.6 cm
Inscription
inscribed (diagonally) in brown paint l.l.: James Webb / 1885
Accession Number
140-2
Department
International Painting
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Bequest of Alfred Felton, 1904
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
Gallery location
Not on display
Provenance

Collection of William Lynch (1839–1901) and Caroline Dexter (1819–84), Melbourne, before 1890 until 1903; included in the sale of the Lynch collection,  Gemmell, Tucker & Co., Melbourne, 14-15 December 1903, no. 185; from where purchased by Alfred Felton (1831–1904), Melbourne; collection of Alfred Felton, Melbourne, until 1904; by whom bequeathed to the NGV, 1904.



Exhibited Exhibition of Works by Victorian Artists and a Loan Collection of Pictures, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, 1890, no. 185, lent by W. Lynch.

James Webb was a pupil of Clarkson Stanfield whose magnificent painting of Mt St Michael, Cornwall is in the NGV collection. Like his teacher, Webb too specialised in marine landscapes and also painted that prominent landmark. This work, however, possibly owes more to the great landscape artist John Constable than Stanfield. Webb was a regular contributor to exhibitions at the RA and Society of British Artists for over 30 years. This painting came from the collection of Alfred Felton, the great benefactor of the NGV.

Colourmen

Colourman
WINSOR & NEWTON
Location
Lower right quadrant of canvas reverse.
Transcription
PREPARED BY/WINSOR & NEWTON,/LIMITED/38, RATHBONE PLACE,/LONDON.
Medium
Ink stamp
More information
National Portrait Gallery

Frame

James WEBB
Lock on the Thames 1885
Framemaker
Unknown - 19th century
Date
c.1885
Materials

timber, composition, gold leaf

Condition

good original condition

About

This classical revival, Empire style frame is believed to be the one in which the painting was acquired in 1904.