Collection Online
Vase
Medium
earthenware (maiolica)
Measurements
58.5 × 28.8 × 28.7 cm
Place/s of Execution
Florence, Italy
Inscription
painted in green on base u.c.: (cockerel) 31
Accession Number
386-D2
Department
International Decorative Arts
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Purchased, 1897
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
Gallery location
18th & 19th Century Decorative Arts & Paintings Gallery
Level 2, NGV International
Physical description
Oviform, raised borders and serpent handles, richly decorated. Medallions with subjects from Roman History.
In 1878 Ulisse Cantagalli assumed management of the family ceramics factory in Florence and began producing highly decorative wares closely imitating the style of the Italian Renaissance, especially those produced at the great Italian sixteenth-century centres of Gubbio, Deruta and Urbino. White-ground grotesque decorations adorn the body of this monumental vase inspired by products of the sixteenth-century Patanazzi workshop in Urbino. Of very high quality, the carefully modelled figures and delicate scrolls of the painted ornament display a precision and studied sense of detail which is nineteenth-century in spirit – quite different to the freer, more painterly decoration of sixteenth-century originals.