Purchased from the artist by Lloyd (print publisher), 1857; returned to the artist following Lloyd's bankruptcy, 1859; from whom purchased, by Sir Charles Eastlake, for the NGV, 1864.
Exhibited: Royal Academy, London, 1857 no. 503; Philadelphia, c. 1860; exhibited Fine Arts Gallery (Compartment 10), Intercolonial Exhibition, Melbourne, 1866, no. 317; First Loan Exhibition of Works of Art, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, 1869, no. 499; The First Fifty Years: Nineteenth Century British Art from the Gallery Archives, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, 1992; The First Collections: The Public Library and the National Gallery of Victoria in the 1850s and 1860s, University of Melbourne Museum of Art, Melbourne, 1992, no. 4; Hidden Treasures, David Jones’ Art Gallery, Sydney, 1992.