Collection of Joan Hendrik van Heemskerk (1689–1730), The Hague, before 1730; then to his widow, Anna Petronella van Heemskerk (1693–1765/66, née van Schuylenburg), until her death, 1765/66; Van Heemskerk estate, until 1770; included in the van Heemskerk sale (Lugt 1818), Rietmulder, The Hague, 29 March 1770, no. 110 as Een Boeren-Bruiloft, hoog 18 breed 14 duim; from where purchased by Cornelis van Heemskerck; included in Heemskerck sale, The Hague, 18 November 1783, no. 3; from where purchased by Louis-Bernard Coclers (1741–1817); collection of Van Cranenburgh, Amsterdam, before 1823; collection of Colonel Anthony Meynts (1747–1823), before 1823; included in the Meynts sale, Amsterdam, 15 July 1823, no. 118; bought Chrétien-Jean Nieuwenhuys (1799–1883, dealer-collector), and by whom imported into England, 1823; collection of Lord Charles Vere Ferrars Townshend (1785–1853), London, by 1824– until c. 1833; collection of William Wells (1768–1847), Redleaf Park, near Penthurst, Kent, by 1833–47; included in Wells' estate sale, Christie & Manson, London, 12–13 May, 1848, no. 92, as A company of villagers in a room; from where purchased by W. B. Tiffin (dealer), Canonbury, 1848; with W. B. Tiffin, Canonbury, until (before 1877); collection of C. J. Nieuwenhuys (dealer-collector) before 1883; Nieuwenhuys sale, Christie's, London, 17 July 1886, no. 98; from which purchased by Galerie Sedelmeyer (dealer), Paris; collection of Maurice Kann (d. 1906), Paris, before 1906; Estate of Maurice Kann 1906–11; included in the Kann sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 9 June 1911, no. 69 as La Noce; purchased by S. Altmann (dealer); collection of Eugène Fischhof, Paris; included in his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 14 June 1913, no. 64; collection of Marcus Kappel (1839–1919), Berlin, by 1914–19; probably by descent to his grandchildren Ellen Ettlinger (1902–94, nee Rathenau) and Ernest (or Ernst) G. Rathenau (1897–1987), Berlin and London, by 1931; with Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1946; from where purchased by R.P. Silcock, Lancashire, 1947; by descent to A. Duckworth, before 1974; purchased by Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1974; purchased by James Fairfax, Bowral, New South Wales, 1977; collection of James Fairfax, Bowral and Sydney, 1977–92; presented through the Art Foundation of Victoria to the National Gallery of Victoria, 1992.