This painting belongs to a group of six radically simplified landscapes that Gustave Caillebotte created in 1884. These six canvases all depict the Gennevilliers plain adjacent to the artist’s property at Petit Gennevilliers. Situated on the banks of the Seine, half an hour’s train journey from Paris, the fertile ground here provided rich and colourful harvests which fascinated Caillebotte. He was especially inspired by the radiant colours and simple geometry of the rows of planted vegetables.
This work is currently on display at NGV International.