18th Century Decorative Arts - Great Hall Costume Corridor Level 2, NGV International
The firm of Frantz Hingelberg was founded in 1897 as a retail business, with associated workshops for gold, silver and jewellery. In 1919 Vilhelm Hingelberg succeeded his father and expanded the business considerably. He collaborated frequently with the designer Svend Weihrauch, and in the 1920s and 1930s their collaboration resulted in more than 4500 draft sketches, most of which were implemented. From around 1935 onwards, the strict Constructivist aesthetic of Weihrauch’s designs gave way to shapes that were increasingly organic in inspiration. Nevertheless, even though the individual elements now flowed into each other, their geometric origin is always discernible.