Collection Online

Standing cup and cover
(c. 1620)

Medium
silver-gilt
Measurements
(a-b) 49.7 × 11.6 cm diameter (overall)
Place/s of Execution
Nuremburg, Germany
Inscription
(a) punched in outside of upper rim: N
punched (vertically) in outside of upper rim: (fish)
punched in outside rim of base: (fish)
Accession Number
D43.a-b-1974
Department
International Decorative Arts
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Felton Bequest, 1974
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
Gallery location
17th Century & Flemish Paintings Gallery
Level 2, NGV International
Description
On shaped base, chased bosses, central stem section cast pineapple knop, upper section three cast brackets.
About
Franz Vischer was a prominent silversmith working in Nuremburg who played a leading role in the revival of the Gothic style in the early seventeenth century. Made at the beginning of the seventeenth century, when the influence of classicising Renaissance ornament was being felt in Europe, the cup is decorated with swirling lobes typical of the fifteenth-century Gothic style, which remained popular long after other Gothic ornament had vanished. Decorative covered cups were used on ceremonial occasions and also as objects for display on a buffet.

Related