National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
18th Century Decorative Arts - Great Hall Costume Corridor Level 2, NGV International
In 1775 Wedgwood engaged the services of the young sculptor John Flaxman who was to become the leading Neoclassical sculptor of his age. The plaque was listed in Wedgwood’s 1787 catalogue as, ‘From a beautiful Etruscan vase in the collection of Sir William Hamilton, now in the British Museum’. The design, which appears on a Greek red-figure vase of the late fifth century BCE by the Meidias Painter, had been published by Pierre-François Hugues d’Hancarville. The published design was adjusted to a rectangular format and surrounded by an ornamental border which was freely adapted from ancient vase painting.