Collection Online

Basin for holding a ewer
(c. 1520-1550)

Medium
earthenware (maiolica)
Measurements
3.7 × 31.9 cm diameter
Place/s of Execution
Deruta, Italy
Accession Number
4554-D3
Department
International Decorative Arts
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Felton Bequest, 1939
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
Gallery location
14th - 16th Century Gallery - Painting & Decorative Arts
Level 1, NGV International
About
This basin has a central retaining ring which would have held an accompanying ewer for water; the two pieces being used for washing hands. The decoration, like that of the nearby Spanish lusterware dish, includes the sacred trigram, the first three letters of Jesus’s name in Greek, here in Gothic characters: YHS. The decoration of the rim with a band of stylised flowers and tulips evidences the influence of imported Turkish ceramics popular among Italian collectors during this period.