Collection Online
Medium
ivory, iron, wood, tortoiseshell, bone, paper, silk, gold fabric, rock crystal
Measurements
36.6 × 12.8 × 5.3 cm
Inscription
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross uc.: S, Romulus m.
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross u.l.: S, Hipolitus m.
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross u.c.: s, Bartholom: APOST:
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross ur.: s.Euftachius m.
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross c.: S, Barbara m.
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross l.c.: S.Felix m.
inscribed in pen and ink on paper label inset in rear of cross l.c.: S.Hilarius m.
Accession Number
D13-1990
Department
International Decorative Arts
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Presented by Mrs G. Furche, 1990
Gallery location
14th - 16th Century Gallery - Painting & Decorative Arts
Level 1, NGV International
Description
Ivory corpus secured to wooden cross, veneered with tortoiseshell, verso-bone relics of saints.
About
This ivory figure of the crucified Christ ultimately derives from a painted Crucifixion by Peter Paul Rubens of around 1610–11. The reverse of the tortoiseshell veneered cross contains, behind rock-crystal windows, a number of relics of saints, including the apostle Bartholomew, and the martyrs Romulus, Hippolitus, Eustachios, Barbara, Felix and Hilarius. Each is carefully labelled, as required by Church law after the Council of Trent. As objects for devotional contemplation, the relics ensure that the believer prayed to Christ in the company of the saints.