Collection Online

The Holy Family
(c. 1589)

oil on canvas
69.9 × 61.0 cm
Accession Number
International Painting
Credit Line
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Felton Bequest, 1971
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
Gallery location
16th & 17th Century Gallery - Painting and Sculpture
Mezzanine linked to Level 1, NGV International

Collection of Sarah Churchill (1660–1744), Duchess of Marlborough, wife of John Churchill (1650–1722), 1st Duke of Marlborough, Blenheim Palace, Woodstock, Oxfordshire, by 1740 (recorded 1740), until 1744; collection of Charles Spencer (1706–58), 3rd Duke of Marlborough, 1744–58; thence by descent, remaining at Blenheim Palace, to: George Spencer (1739–1817), 4th Duke of Marlborough (1758–1817) (recorded 1759, 1766), until 1817; George Spencer-Churchill (1766–1840) 5th Duke of Marlborough, until 1840; George Spencer-Churchill (1793–1857), 6th Duke of Marlborough (recorded 1854), until 1857; then to John Spencer-Churchill (1822–83), 7th Duke of Marlborough (recorded 1861), until 1883; collection of George Spencer-Churchill (1844–92), 8th Duke of Marlborough, until 1886; by whom sold, Christie's, London, 7-10 August 1886, no. 640, as Madonna and Child with St. Joseph, by Agostino Carracci; from where purchased by Richard Glynn Vivian (1835–1910); his collection, Sketty Hall (from 1898), Swansea, 1886–1910; with Hazlitt Gallery (dealer), London, by 1971; from where acquired, on the advice of Dr Mary Woodall, with Sir Michael Levey, for the Felton Bequest, 1971.