Commissioned from the artist by Isambard Kingdom Brunel Esq. (1806–59), for his Shakespeare Room, London, 1850; his collection, until 1859; included in the Brunel estate sale, Christie's, London, 20 April 1860, no. 223; from where purchased by Lord Robert Pelham-Clinton (1820–67), North Nottinghamshire; his collection, 1860–67; collection of Adelbert Wellington Brownlow-Cust (1844–1921), 3rd Earl Brownlow, London, Belton, Lincolnshire and Ashridge House, Berkhamsted, by 1873– c. 1886; from whom acquired by Sir William Cuthbert Quilter (1841–1911), 1st Baronet, Bawdsey Manor, Suffolk, c. 1886; his collection, until 1909; included in the Cuthbert-Quilter sale, Christie's, London, 9 July 1909, no. 60; from where purchased by Henry (Heinz) Lowenfeld (d. 1931, Paris); Lowenfeld collection, London, 1909–31; offered for purchase by his widow Mrs Henry Lowenfeld, and from whom acquired, on the advice of Randall Davies, for the Felton Bequest, 1932.
Exhibited: Royal Academy, London, 1851, no. 157, lent by Brunel; The Works of the late Sir Edwin Landseer, R.A., Royal Academy Winter Exhibition, London, 1874, no. 236, lent by Earl Brownlow; Winter exhibition of British artists deceased since 1850, Royal Academy, London, 1901, no. 67, lent by Sir William Cuthbert Quilter; Franco-British Exhibition, Shepherd’s Bush (present-day White City), London, 1908, no. 88, lent by Sir William Cuthbert Quilter; Sir Edwin Landseer, Tate, London and Philadelphia, 1981–2, no 139; The First Fifty Years: 19th Century British Art from the Gallery Archives, NGV, Melbourne, 1992; Hidden Treasures, David Jones Gallery, Sydney, 1992; Victorian Fairy Painting, Royal Academy, London, touring to The University of Iowa and The Art Gallery of Ontario, 1997–98, no. 12.