International Audience Engagement Network (IAE)
AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT CHAMPIONS THE EMOTIONAL AND SOCIAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN AUDIENCES AND MUSEUMS TO SUSTAIN THEIR FUTURE.
– Value statement, written by the IAE Melbourne Group, 2018
ABOUT THE NETWORK
Our mission is to create a global network of art museum leaders in audience engagement committed to advancing the public value of museums through supporting an authentic internal and external focus on the audience experience.
The International Audience Engagement network was established in 2017 as an initiative of an international steering group comprising audience engagement leaders from museums worldwide. The network was formed as a direct response to one of the biggest priorities facing cultural institutions today: nurturing authentic, cohesive engagement with diverse audiences across many interactions with the museum in the twenty-first century.
IAE priorities include:
- Communications and service standards
- Collaborative, cross-industry strategies for planning audience engagement
- Inclusion in museums, from access to diversity
- Leadership, advocacy and public value
- Measurement and evaluation
INDUSTRY STANDARDS FOR AUDIENCE ENGAGEMENT
In 2018, the IAE network released global guidelines for best practice in museum audience engagement. The guidelines were developed as a direct outcome of the inaugural IAE network meeting in March 2018, hosted by the National Gallery of Victoria and co-designed by the IAE steering group and project partner Ernst and Young. The private meeting engaged 29 senior audience engagement professionals from museums across the world in a two-day intensive workshop.
Other outcomes of the meeting included a universal value statement and definition for audience engagement, as well as recommendations and success measures for achieving the guidelines. The full report and guidelines can be found in the link below.
IAE NETWORK STEERING GROUP
- Jean-François Bilodeau Deputy Director, Advancement and Public Engagement, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa
- Chris Lee Chief Marketing Officer, National Gallery Singapore
- Donna McColm Associate Director, Audience Engagement and Learning, National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Australia
- Kristin Prestegaard Chief Engagement Officer, Minneapolis Institute of Art, USA
- Sonya Shrier, Director of Visitor Engagement, Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA & Audrey Stoltz, Assistant Director of Visitor Engagement, Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York, USA
- Adam Reed Rozan, Director of Programs and Audience Development, Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington D.C., USA
For more information, please email: IAEN@ngv.vic.gov.au