Said to have been commissioned by Mr Parrott, although rejected by him upon completion; exhibited British Institution, 1831, no. 447; from where purchased by James P. Ord (1759–1843), 1831; his collection, Edge Hill, Duffield, Derbyshire, until 1843; included in the J. P. Ord sale, held at Edge Hill, Duffield, Payne (auctioneer), 26–28 June 1843, no. 31 (sold 28 June); bought by George Pennell (dealer), London, 1843; by whom sold to Joseph Gillott (1799–1872), Birmingham, 1843; his collection, until 1849; sold by Gillott to Charles Wentworth Wass (1817–1906), Adelphi, London, 11 November 1849; by whom sold to Henry William Eaton, by 1857; collection of Henry William Eaton (1816–91, later 1st Baron Cheylesmore, cr. 1887), Coventry and Warwick, by 1857 until 1891; included in the late Lord Cheylesmore sale, Christie's, London, 7 May 1892, no. 74 (as from the Collection of the Lord Townshend); purchased by Agnew's (dealer), London, 1892; from where purchased by Mr. W. H. Burns, North Mimms, Hertfordshire, 9 May 1892; by descent to Mrs Burns, North Mimms, Hertfordshire, by 1911 until 1925; exhibited Royal Commission International Fine Arts Exhibition, Rome, 1911, owner Mrs. Burns; included in the sale of various properties, including John Scott Napier, Sotheby's, London, 6 May 1925, no. 85, as the property of a gentleman; from where purchased by Arthur Ruck (dealer), London, 1925; included in a sale of various properties, Christie's, London, 28 November 1930; from where purchased by Mr. James R. Hartley (1869–1934), Melbourne; by whom presented to the NGV, 1931.
Exhibited: Royal Academy, London, 1830, no. 284; British Institution 1831, no. 447; Royal Scottish Academy, 1845, no. 136; Manchester Art Treasures Exhibition, Manchester, 1857, no. 377, owner H[enry] W[illiam] Eaton (1816–91) (later 1st Baron Cheylesmore), Coventry and Warwick; International Exhibition, 1862; Royal Commission International Fine Arts Exhibition, Rome, 1911, owner Mrs. Burns, North Mimms, Hertfordshire