- wool, viscose, rayon
- (a) 92.0 cm (centre back) (dress)
(b) 101.0 cm (centre back) 56.0 cm (sleeve length) (coat)
- Place/s of Execution
- label, inside centre back, printed on viscose rayon: luc d'arcy / PARIS / MADE IN FRANCE
- Accession Number
- International Fashion and Textiles
- Credit Line
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Gift of Carolyn Fels, 1997
- Gallery location
- Not on display
- Physical description
- The sleeveless short dress in lilac wool features decorative white braid frog fasteners. The shape of the dress is a basic A-line, however the construction is complex; the yoke section is made up of four pieces and the skirt eight pieces. The joining of each section is accentuated with topstitching, creating a subtle geometric pattern especially along the hipline. The front skirt features an inverted pleat, giving the straight skirt added fullness.
The matching coat has two sets of frogs made in white cotton braid, used for front fastening the construction of the coat is highlighted with non-contrasting topstitching. Two large patch pockets set at hip level have a scalloped edge finished with a decorative braid button trim. The full-length sleeves are set-in and feature two braid buttons on each cuff.