- silk, wool, metal
- (a) 56.0 cm (centre back) 56.5 cm (sleeve length) (jacket)
(b) 81.5 cm (centre back) 65.8 cm (sleeve length) (blouse)
(c) 70.8 cm (centre back) 41.5 cm (waist, flat) (skirt)
- Place/s of Execution
- Paris, France
- (a) label, inside centre back, woven in black on white synthetic fabric: CHANEL / BOUTIQUE / CC (monogram)
(c) label, inside left seam, woven in black on white synthetic fabric: CHANEL CC (monogram)
- Accession Number
- International Fashion and Textiles
- Credit Line
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
Presented through the NGV Foundation from the wardrobe of Mrs Mavis Powell by her daughter Mrs Angela Wood, Fellow, 2001
© Courtesy of Chanel, Paris
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Professor AGL Shaw AO Bequest
- Gallery location
- Not on display
- Physical description
- (a) Raw silk, wool blend fabric woven in a textured linear pattern in cream, grey and beige. Gold metallic braid trims the collar centre front edge, sleeve cuffs and pockets. The jacket fastens at the centre front with four gold metallic buttons, each embellished with interlocking 'C's. The cuffs are also trimmed with matching buttons. Lined in cream silk, the jacket hem is weighted inside with a metallic gold chain.
(b) The suit is worn with a long sleeved shirt of cream silk. The shirt has a tie collar and is finely detailed with three large flat pleats on each panel and fastens down the centre front with six matching mother of pearl buttons.
(c) Mid-length matching wrap skirt has a narrow waistband and is secured at the back by a metal hook and loop fastener.