(a-b) 44.3 × 20.7 × 13.0 cm (overall) (day) (c-d) 36.4 × 39.7 × 14.4 cm (overall) (clock) (e-f) 44.1 × 20.9 × 13.0 cm (overall) (night)
Place/s of Execution
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England
(a) incised above base l.c.: MLES (monogram) impressed (vertically) in inside rim of base c.l.: t / MC (monogram) MINTON (c) painted in white on clock face l.c.l.: L. Solon painted in white in clock face l.c.r.: Minton impressed (diagonally) in rim of base c.r.: MINTON impressed (inverted) (diagonally) in rim of base c.r.: A / MC (monogram) (e) impressed in base u.c.l.: X impressed (diagonally) in base u.c.l.: A / MINTON impressed (inverted) in base u.c.l.: MC (monogram)
National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne
The Dr Robert Wilson Collection. Presented through the NGV Foundation by Dr Robert Wilson, Honorary Life Benefactor, 2003
This digital record has been made available on NGV Collection Online through the generous support of Digitisation Champion Ms Carol Grigor through Metal Manufactures Limited
18th & 19th Century Decorative Arts & Paintings Gallery Level 2, NGV International
Clock and two vases.
Among the outstanding ceramic artists lured to the Minton factory during the second half of the nineteenth century was Marc-Louis-Emmanuel Solon, a former principal designer and decorator at the Sèvres factory in France. He perfected the decorating technique of pâte-sur-pâte in which translucent layers of slip (diluted clay) are applied to the ceramic body, building up a cameo-like surface. This clock garniture is a tour de force in pâte-sur-pâte. The garniture was exhibited at the 1872 London Second Annual International Exhibition where it was one of the ceramic highlights. It was made purely as an exhibition piece, since the clock mechanism was never fitted to the central vase.