What’s in a portrait? What do portraits tell us about people and the times they lived in? What does the appearance of a sitter reveal about what they might be thinking or feeling? Why is it important that artists make portraits of people? View and discuss historical and contemporary portraits from across the NGV Collection.
- Define the terms ‘self-portrait’ and ‘portrait’.
- Identify and explain why artists produce portraits.
- Examine the role of the sitter and the artist in portraiture.
- Analyse examples of portraiture and present a range of interpretations of the subject matter based on observations, ideas and imagination.
- Compare and contrast portraits from a range of historical, social and cultural contexts in the NGV Collection.