Unit 3 – Area of Study – Historical relationships with outdoor environments
What can artworks from the NGV Collection tell us about the history of human relationships with the Australian environment? How do Indigenous perceptions of the landscape differ from non-Indigenous settlers’ views? This virtual professional learning program has been developed with VCE Outdoor and Environmental Science teachers in mind: learn how to read artworks and use them to investigate human interactions with the landscape with your students.
This program is aligned with Unit 3, Outcome 1 of the VCE Outdoor and Environmental Science study design.
Duration: 1 hour
- Analyse artworks with key links to the study design.
- Build a bank of artworks and resources for use in this area of study.
- Describe and analyse how relationships with Australian outdoor environments are expressed by specific Indigenous communities before and after European colonisation through works in the NGV Collection
- Discuss what artworks can tell us about Australian outdoor environments as influenced by:
- the first non-Indigenous settlers’ experiences
- increasing population
- nation building