Resources & materials
- Grey lead pencil
- Thick ballpoint pen or marker
- Thin ballpoint pen or marker
- Paper of any colour or size
- Animal photograph
- With a thick ballpoint pen or marker, draw the bold outline of your chosen animal’s head then add its eyes, ears, mouth and nose. Use your animal photograph as a guide.
- With a pencil, draw faint lines to create sections and guide where your thinner lines will be drawn later. In this example, guidelines have been drawn for the lion’s face and mane.
- With your thin pen, draw lines inside the outer sections. Alternate the direction of these lines as you draw each section. This example uses long straight lines.
- Now, choose an area of the face and draw within the guidelines using a different style of line. This example uses short, evenly spaced curved lines.
- Change the style of your line once again to draw specific features of your animal. Here, short staccato lines have been drawn in a downward direction within the ears and around the nose.
- Erase the pencil guidelines, wipe off the rubbings.