In this introductory course, learn about the art, culture and design of Australia’s First Peoples through a close study of traditional and contemporary Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander art in the NGV Collection.
Curators, artists and community leaders guide informal sessions of discovery over four weeknights. Includes a visit to the Koorie Heritage Trust exhibition They Shield Us.
Presented in Partnership with Koorie Heritage Trust and Deakin University.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Introductory knowledge of traditional Indigenous art and culture and their connection to country
- Understanding of the function and diversity of Indigenous art across Australia
- Understanding of the development of Indigenous art post colonisation
- Understanding of the nature of contemporary Indigenous art
- Knowledge of key figures in contemporary Indigenous art
- Skills in analysing, interpreting and discussing contemporary Indigenous art
- Ability to speak about Indigenous art in an informed way using appropriate terminology